10 October 2013

#fridayflash: the benefits of myopia

I tried to do this art photo series once, black and white, just ordinary objects. The trick was I wanted to make the camera's lens as out of focus as my eyes are when I don't have my glasses on. It's funny to me, but even adults sometimes really don't understand what it's like to be nearsighted. At least children will ask.

I still think it was a good idea, but I ran into technical difficulties: the camera's lens couldn't go as out of focus as my eyes. Not even close. I suppose with different gear I might be able to pull it off, but in the end it was just a whim, so I've never tried.

People have this funny stereotype of the half-blind stumbling around when they don't have their specs on, but if you're in a place you know, it's not much different than seeing things sharply. Yes, I have to press my nose right up against the washroom mirror to put makeup on, but there's a kind of beauty to the blur that's hard to explain.

Beauty, and wonder. Lots of subjective wonder. Like sometimes, when I wake up from a really good sleep, just for a moment if feels like I get a glimpse of the entire room in focus without the help of any apparatus. Then it falls apart to blurriness again. Someone with 20/20 vision can't appreciate that. It's like there's this fuzzy, half-hidden world that only the sand-blind get to know about, and we need the lenses to see the other, sharper world.

With my glasses off, I'm not like those fully-sighted people who think that, every once in a while, they see shadows without sources. I know which ones they are. They're the ones which are still nice and crisp when everything else is a blur.

The shadow-people will talk to us. Not right away, of course. But if you consistently show that you're not afraid of them, they'll stop disappearing every time they know they've been spotted. And if you're consistently friendly every time they pass through, they'll start to be friendly back.

The shadows love fairness, and vindication appeals to them. Did you throw snowballs at me in sixth grade, when my glasses were so fogged up that I could see better without them, but not well enough to see the chunk of ice that smacked me in the face? The shadows are going to exact revenge for me.

Believe me, that's something I can hardly wait to see. I might even take photos.

16 comments:

  1. Well, that's something I certainly didn't see coming! *pun TOTALLY intended* :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew someone would go there! Thank you.

      Delete
  2. Very nice, gracefully pulled me right into it. Seeing the little things we might miss, and making friends with them. I like vindictive shadow-people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed this story - blessings

    ReplyDelete
  4. Being pretty near-sighted myself, I could relate to this pretty well. The idea of shooting out of focus to replicate what I see w/o my glasses is attractive, now I just have to figure out how. :-)

    The idea of shadow people exacting revenge for you is... so attractive... Makes me want to go find them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you get anywhere with the camera, let me know! I tried it once and couldn't figure out how to defocus that much.

      Delete
  5. Oh, I love this point of view! Beauty in poor eyesight, and bringing that into photo projects. This is all lovely. Well, unless you are revenged upon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nicely written, as always.
    I certainly never saw that ending coming. You leave me wondering just what are lurking there, just outside the scope of my vision, and if I need to fear them...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh, what a cool idea that there might be shadow-people that I can see better without my glasses. Myopia is now a super power.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know what the blurriness feels like these days ^_^ What a great twist, you never know what's lurking in the shadows eh.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now I'm wondering if the little floaty thing that appeared in my eye is something else. Unfortunately, it resembles a little...parasite...*shudder*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That just sounds like some dead cells floating over your cornea on their way to being flushed out. No biggie. I've been seeing those since I was a kid.

      Delete
  10. I didn't expect to be taken from photo art to revenge exacting shadow people. Cool story, I liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Whoa, that was one lovely twist! I loved the perspective from which the story was told and the blurry view it creates. I could almost see those shadows too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I'd love it if that were true (as a glasses wearer myself)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is great. I love the idea of finding beauty in blurred world and the end twist was very nice. One of my favourites that you've done.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are very welcome.

Spam will be deleted without mercy.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.